WorkBC is your one-stop job search centre! We provide free individualized services and comprehensive supports to eligible job seekers in the Sidney, Saanich Peninsula and Gulf Islands region who are unemployed, underemployed or precariously employed. We have many services available for anyone looking for work. New immigrants, individuals with disabilities, youth, older workers, and individuals with barriers are just some examples of the diverse range of indivduals we work with. With three WorkBC Centres – Sidney, Salt Spring Island and Pender Island – our employment service team is ready to assist you!
WorkBC offers a wide range of free services and supports to eligible unemployed or underemployed British Columbians who are:
- Not working
- Working fewer than 20 hours per week, and
- Seeking full-time employment
- Unable to work full time due to a disability but want more hours
- Receipt of a layoff notice
- Must leave current job due to a medical reason
- Risk of losing your employment because of a disability
- Legally eligible to work in B.C.
The WorkBC Employment Services Centre offers three types of self-serve services:
- A staffed resource area for using job search tools and information that includes:
- Computer workstations
- Internet access
- Public telephones
- Fax machines
- Photocopy and scanning services
- Informational materials
- Job search and job search workshops for unemployed clients
- Job search and job start financial supports for eligible clients
The resource area is open to all BC job seekers and can be accessed independently or with minimal support.
If you require more in-depth help with your job search, one-on-one coaching may be ideal for you. Please ask our qualified staff how to get started.
Job Boards & Postings
Our WorkBC Centres provide access to computers with links to online job boards as well as physical job boards. Our job boards onsite are updated frequently and are sorted by occupation for ease of navigation. A special section is reserved for positions with local employers. As a client, you will also have access to an exclusive bi-weekly newsletter that compiles current job leads. Click on the link below to access WorkBC online job board.Visit the WorkBC Job Board
These supports assist eligible clients in financial need with the costs of basic expenses required for Program participation, job search or starting jobs. In some cases, employed individuals at significant risk of losing employment due to a disability, may be eligible for financial supports to enable employment retention. Supports may include transportation, dependent care, essential work clothing/supplies, tools and equipment, and licensing.